Saturday, July 30, 2011

Swags and Cascades...

When speaking with clients I often find there is a bit of confusion about the parts of certain valances.  What is a swag, what is a cascade, and what is a jabot?  Simply put the pieces in the middle that arch downward are called swags.  The pieces that spill down the ends are called cascades.  And finally, the pieces that hang between the swags are called jabots. 
Nine swags, center forward and self-lined.
Asymmetrical swags over cascades.

Three swags with cascades displaying a contrast lining.

2 comments:

  1. I've just moved to NoVA from out west and these lovely pics make me feel like I'm back in the 80's! Are these styles still commonly used here??

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are certainly still used in traditional settings, especially when a more formal look is called for. That being said, when I get back from PA I may be convinced to post some contemporary alternatives.

    ReplyDelete